Gaza under Israeli military attack

Report by Mona Elfarra
Published: 19/08/11

Gaza August 19th 1am

Dear friends

I am ok.

They have started shelling Gaza City and different parts of the Gaza Strip. The first attack was so close to my building, the F16 hit Almuntada; they have also attacked the north of the city. Already 6 people have been injured and one killed (6 were killed few hours earlier on). I can hear and see the emergency vehicles on their way to the site of the shelling. My computer is not working so I am using C’s laptop - bad timing.

It is sad to see the families below the building in panicking and running outside of the sea resort. The second shelling was against the police building (Arafat police headquarters), so close to the Red Crescent building.

The operation is expected to be accelerated and the UN has evacuated its employees.

I am trying to calm down while receiving many calls from friends and family checking on me. I have asked C to leave to the West Bank tomorrow; she was due to leave on Sunday. I am relieved it is the end of her visit, and she has accomplished her practicum.

Netanyahu exports the internal Israeli political turmoil to an external situation.

With love and solidarity

Mona

Mona ElFarra

From Gaza With Love

be part of the change you want to make in the world


Israeli warplanes strike Gaza City

source

Published today (updated) 19/08/2011 09:38 GAZA CITY (Ma’an) -- Israeli warplanes struck Az-Zaitoun, south of Gaza City on Friday morning, witnesses said, after seven Palestinians were killed in raids on the coastal enclave.

The daylight strike in Az-Zaitoun caused damage to a home but no casualties, medics said.

Meanwhile, the Israeli military said 12 projectiles had been fired from Gaza into southern Israel since midnight.

The increased rocket fire came a day after militants Israel said were from Gaza staged a coordinated series of attacks on a desert road near the Red Sea resort town of Eilat, killing eight Israelis.

An Israeli military source told Ma’an that operations were underway in southern Gaza following the series of attacks.

The country’s defense minister, Ehud Barak, said earlier in a statement that “The real source of the terror is in Gaza and we will act against them with full force and determination.”

Just after midnight Friday, Israeli warplanes launched a series of raids targeting Gaza City, the northern towns of Beit Hanoun and Beit Lahiya, and Khan Younis in the south.

Gaza medical official Adham Abu Salmiya said an airstrike on a home near the former intelligence services headquarters in Gaza City killed 13-year-old Mahmoud Abu Samra and injured 18 others.

A Palestinian was also missing in the Rafah tunnel area, medics said.

Elsewhere, Apache helicopters fired at least two missiles toward a Palestinian military site in the town of Beit Lahiya and a missile near Khan Younis landed in an open area and caused no injuries or damage.

A Ma’an correspondent described a “state of panic” across Gaza as Israel renewed bombings just hours after an airstrike killed six Palestinians in Rafah, near Egypt’s border.

The airstrike hit a home belonging to Popular Resistance Committees official Khaled Shaath, who was killed instantly. His two-year-old son Malek later died of injuries sustained in the strike.

The attacks killed four others in Rafah. Among them were PRC military wing chief Abu Awad Nayrab and PRC operatives Imad Hamad, Abu Jamil Shaath and Khaled Masri, medical officials said.

Israel says three of those Palestinians were involved in planning Thursday’s attacks in Eilat. Israeli forces also killed five attackers, officials said.

The PRC confirmed the deaths in a statement posted to its website and vowed to exact a bitter price for the killing of its leader and other senior cadres.

A PRC spokesman, Abu Mujahed, said Israel fired the first shots Thursday and would be held responsible for “all the consequences of its crimes” in Rafah.

The military wing of the PRC claimed responsibility for launching two rockets toward the coastal city of Ashkelon, while Israel’s army said its “Iron Dome” infiltration system stopped four attacks.

Early Friday, two Israelis were injured, one seriously, when a Grad rocket fired by militants in Gaza slammed into the coastal town of Ashdod in southern Israel early on Friday, police said.

“One person was seriously wounded in the attack, and another person was lightly hurt,” police spokeswoman Luba Samri told AFP, saying two rockets had hit the town. The second caused no damage or injuries, she said.

The Israeli military confirmed the strike saying a school and a synagogue had been damaged in the attack.

“Two rockets fired at the city of Ashdod caused damage and injuries at a synagogue and school,” a statement said.


In a New Crime, IOF Kills Disabled Child in Central Gaza

source

Wednesday, 17 August 2011

On Tuesday evening, 16 August 2011, the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) killed a Palestinian child from al-Nussairat refugee camp, who was 400 meters from the border between the Gaza Strip and Israel, east of Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip. The victim’s family told a PCHR field worker that their child had a mental disability. The victim was in an area that had not been explicitly declared as prohibited.

According to investigations conducted by PCHR, at approximately 18:00 on Tuesday, 16 August 2011, Israeli soldiers stationed at the border northeast of Deir al-Balah opened fire at a Palestinian, who was nearly 400 meters from the border. As a result, he was wounded by 10 bullets in his head and chest. He was left wounded without being offered any first aid. After coordination was made with IOF, at approximately 19:20, medical crews were able to retrieve the body, which was then transferred to al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir al-Balah. After four hours later, the child was identified as Sa’d Abdul Rahim Mahmoud al-Majdalwai, 17, from al-Nussairat refugee camp. He was hit by 10 live bullets mostly to the head. In his testimony to PCHR, the victim’s father said that his son had been suffering from a mental disability and a speech impairment.

The Israeli radio reported that IOF observed a person approaching the security fence, and shot him. This version of events confirms that IOF could have arrested or used less than lethal force against him, especially as he was wearing civilian clothes and there was nothing to indicate that he was a non-civilian.

It should be noted that on Tuesday morning, the Gaza Strip witnessed several shooting and shelling attacks on civilian areas and military training sites. As a result of this shelling and shooting, a Palestinian resistance man was killed and two others were seriously wounded in Gaza City. A child and another person were wounded in Khan Yunis and Rafah in the south of the Gaza Strip.

PCHR condemns and expresses concerned over this crime, and:

Asserts that these crimes are part of a series of war crimes committed by IOF in the oPt, which reflect total disregard for the lives of Palestinian civilians.

Calls upon the international community to take immediate action in order to put an end to such crimes. PCHR further renews its demand for the High Contracting Parties to the Fourth Geneva Convention to fulfill their obligation under Article 1, which stipulates “the High Contracting Parties undertake to respect and to ensure respect for the present Convention in all circumstances,” as well as their obligations under Article 146 which requires that the Contracting Parties prosecute persons alleged to commit grave breaches of the Fourth Geneva Convention. These grave breaches constitute war crimes under Article 147 of the same Convention and under Protocol I Additional to Geneva Conventions.


Unexplained Gaza communications “blackout” highlights Israeli control of networks

http://electronicintifada.net/blog/benjamin-doherty/unexplained-gaza-communications-blackout-highlights-israeli-control-networks